Place de La Défense
Contracting authority : Paris La Défense
Project management : SOGETI Ingénierie
Landscaper : BASE Agency
Surface : 19 835 sq.m.
Location : Axe de La Défense / Place de la Défense (La Défense)
Forecast Delivery: Summer 2022
A major public space of approximately 20,000 sq.m. in the heart of the La Défense district, on the historic axis, Place de La Défense provides the transition between the Grande Arche square and the General de Gaulle esplanade.
Surrounded by the monumental works of Calder and Miró, the Place de La Défense is the nerve centre of the business district, located between a square where tens of thousands of employees pass each other, and the General de Gaulle esplanade, which lives at the calmer pace of walkers. This square is the scene of many events and festivities. Located between the office towers, restaurants and the Westfield - Les Quatre Temps shopping centre, Place de La Défense is also a place of relaxation and conviviality thanks to its lawn.
Architecturally, Place de La Défense will evolve and reassert itself in a more plant-like, attractive and stylish dimension. Echoing the existing lawn, two gardens and a green area around the glass roof will be created, complemented by a misting system that will refresh the air in hot weather. Finally, the floor coverings will be unified, the square will be levelled and the lighting reconfigured in order to simplify and fluidify pedestrian and PRM traffic, particularly at the exit of public transport.
On the technical level, the project consists of the complete renovation of the waterproofing and flooring, the overall urban and landscape redesign, and finally the reconfiguration of the lighting and street furniture.
Objectives and challenges
The project aims to :
- Correct all the technical disorders (waterproofing, coating, networks, recovery of surface water...) ;
- Restore coherence, legibility and attractiveness to the place;
- Recover a visual continuity and circulation between the square and the square, while redefining the contours of the square and marking its status on the main axis;
- To perpetuate the square's artistic and event-driven vocation, and optimize the conditions for hosting events and activities;
- Simplify and fluidify pedestrian circulation, particularly at the exit of the RER, and improve PMR accessibility.
- To green a square that is now very mineral by creating two gardens and a green area around the glass roof.
- Highlighting the major works of art that frame it