The Sequoia Tower begins a new turn in La Défense. Forced to build on increasingly complex grounds, the architects abandoned fragmented volumes in favour of pure prisms where curves are the constant elements. The Sequoia Tower thus presents on one side a dière façade and on the other an arc of a circle. The latter echoes both the vault that crowns it and its new façades designed in 1989.
The connection between the two bodies is made by a horizontal lift spanning the pedestrian walkway. Inside, the office spaces unfold around a central atrium and are lit by a double skin of glass. The building is one of the first intelligent buildings, integrating all computer technologies.
A word about the architects
Michel Andrault (1926) and Pierre Parat (1928) joined forces in 1957 and for almost forty years held a prominent place on the French architectural scene. Known for their work on housing (the Pyramids of Epernay and Evry), they also designed major facilities such as the Palais omnisports de Paris-Bercy.
In 1985, they entered La Défense and, along with Henry La Fonta, became the most influential architects on the site. They accompanied its transformation over nearly ten years and signed several master plans. In terms of projects, Michel Andrault and Pierre Parat are involved in around ten projects, including the restructuring of the CNIT and Le Michelet-Gan Groupama. In 1997, the Renaissance Hotel marked their last collaboration. Michel Andrault then continued his career by founding the Conceptua agency with Nicolas Ayoub.