Year of construction: 2004
Architects: Skidmore, Owings and Merril and SRA (Saubot, Toult et Associés) Architects
Surface area: 31,100 sq.m
Height: 54 m. 12 floors
Address: Rue Delarivière-Lefoullon 92800 Puteaux
Nearest car park: Michelet
Nearest metro station: La Défense Grande Arche
For Défense Plaza, the Franco-American association has imagined a new type of office building. On a plot of land along the circular boulevard, the volume is both cylindrical and cubic. The building, which is only 12 storeys high, has an interior garden at its centre forming a landscaped atrium crossed by a footbridge. Offices are located on either side of this private "plaza". The clear glass, anodized aluminum and granite curtain walls match those of the Total Michelet tower.
In 2004, Défense Plaza was awarded the prize for Building of the Year by the Commercial Real Estate Show.
A word about the architects
Founded in 1936 by Louis Skidmore and Nathaniel Owings, later joined by John Merrill, the Skidmore, Owings and Merrill agency is one of the largest in the world. Known for its ability to combine design excellence and constructive innovation, it has designed numerous office buildings, airports and engineering structures. Its Lever House, built in 1952 in New York, became one of the icons of international modernism. In 2009, the agency signed the highest tower in the world: the Burj Khalifa in Dubai (828m).
In 1969, she was invited as a consultant by the Epad for the Fiat tower, which became Areva. For the project, she joined forces with the Frenchmen Saubot and Jullien. The Franco-American duo was a candidate for the construction of the EDF and Engie towers. However, the Franco-American duo would not sign any more buildings at La Défense until 2004, the year of delivery of the Défense Plaza.