Year of construction: 1970
Architect : Jean de Mailly
Capacity: 50,000 lines
Height: 21m. 19 floors
Address: Rue Gambetta - 92800 Puteaux
Nearest car park : Boieldieu
Nearest metro station: La Défense Grande Arche
The Central Telephone of La Défense is one of the strategic buildings of the business district. With this mixed-use building, the architect Jean de Mailly asserts his taste for the plastic effect by covering the building with aluminium honeycomb caissons. The first floor built in a circular arc fades away, to make way for the levitating building.
A word about the architect
Jean de Mailly is one of the chief architects in charge of the Bellini district. Born on February 13, 1911, he studied at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux-Arts and won the first Grand Prix de Rome for Architecture in 1945.
He developed a close collaboration with the builder Bouygues, with whom he carried out a large number of architectural projects, particularly in the area. He was elected member of the Academy of Fine Arts of the Institute of France in 1968 and was made a knight of the Legion of Honor and of Arts and Letters.