Arras School Group
Developer: Paris La Défense
Project owner (sponsor): City of Nanterre
Project management: Sam Architecture, Bollinger-Grohmann, BET Choulet
Height and floors: 17 meters - 3 floors
Surface area: 4,800 m²
Program: primary and nursery school (11 elementary classes and 9 nursery classes) and two leisure centers (13 rooms)
Start of works: summer 2021
Handover: 4th quarter 2023
Location: Groues district (Nanterre)
The Arras School Group: 20 nursery and elementary classes and two leisure centers
The school group is spread over three floors, each of which is as versatile, progressive and open as possible. Each of them hosts a recreation area: from the natural courtyard with trees on the ground floor to the roof terrace under its pergola. The latter offers a double benefit: it provides a shaded area for the students and produces, through its photovoltaic cover, the energy intended for the building.
Responding to urban issues, it constitutes a built front on the street and opens onto the rail garden. The schools are organized around a large wooded atrium that unites the different levels and articulates wide circulations. It is an active surface, intended to be occupied as often as possible, aﬁn order to multiply the activities.
Largely glazed on the outside to provide a healthy teaching environment, the school group is built with natural and biosourced materials such as wood.
- Summer 2021: start of construction.
- Spring 2022: earthworks, structural work and building structure.
- January 2023: completion of the building's roof.
- Early 2023: interior fittings.
- Fall 2023: completion of the exterior spaces (playground).
- End of 2023 / beginning of 2024: completion of the school building.
- Beginning of the school year 2024: reception of the students.
Click to enlarge and see all images