Le Michelet - Gan Groupama
Year of construction: 1985-1986
Architects: Michel Andrault and Pierre Parat
Surface area: 26,600 sq.m
Height: from 9 to 37 m 7, 12 and 14 floors
Other name: Le Michelet
Address: 4-6 cours Michelet - 92 800 Puteaux
Nearest car park: Michelet
Nearest metro station: Esplanade de La Défense
The Michelet-Gan Groupama constitutes the first ensemble, along with Coface and Athocem, of the architectural turnaround of the 1980s. The master plan for the Michelet district, in the 1970s, provided for the construction of 400 housing units in several buildings connecting to the slab. This project was aborted by the oil crisis. The development of the site remained on hold for several years.
However, the project was taken over by Michel Andrault and Pierre Parat, who had just arrived in the business district. It was presented in the form of different volumes playing with the silver and black colours of the facade frames and glazing.
The gardens of the interior patios can be seen from the Esplanade, through vast porches.
A word about the architects
Michel Andrault (1926) and Pierre Parat (1928) joined forces in 1957 and for almost forty years held a prominent place on the French architectural scene. Known for their work on housing (the Pyramids of Epernay and Evry), they also designed major facilities such as the Palais omnisports de Paris-Bercy.
In 1985, they entered La Défense and, along with Henry La Fonta, became the most influential architects on the site. They accompanied its transformation over nearly ten years and signed several master plans. In terms of projects, Michel Andrault and Pierre Parat are involved in around ten projects, including the restructuring of the CNIT and the Société Générale towers. In 1997, the Renaissance Hotel marked their last collaboration. Michel Andrault then continued his career by founding the Conceptua agency with Nicolas Ayoub.