Year of construction: 1974
Architects: Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, Roger Saubot and François Jullien. Surface area: 102,500 sq.m
Height: 178m. 46 floors
Former names: CB1, Fiat, Framatome
Address: 1, place de la Coupole - Jean-Millier - 92400 Courbevoie
Nearest car park : Coupole-Regnault
Nearest metro station: La Défense Grande Arche
The Areva Tower is an opportunity to involve one of the most important American architectural firms: Skidmore, Owings and Merrill. An intervention that gives birth to an innovative building. Unlike other towers, its facades provide bracing. By means of a progressive widening of the bay windows, the design of its façades also avoids the impression of pyramidal deformation. The tower's abstract character is the result of the black granite cladding and tinted glass.
A word about the architects
Founded in 1936 by Louis Skidmore and Nathaniel Owings, later joined by John Merrill, the Skidmore, Owings and Merrill agency is one of the largest in the world. Known for its ability to combine design excellence and constructive innovation, it has designed numerous office buildings, airports and engineering structures. Its Lever House, built in 1952 in New York, became one of the icons of international modernism. In 2009, the agency signed the highest tower in the world: the Burj Khalifa in Dubai (828m).
In 1969, she is invited as a consultant by the Epad for the Fiat tower, which became Areva. For the project, she joined forces with the Frenchmen Saubot and Jullien. The Franco-American duo was a candidate for the construction of the EDF and Engie towers. However, the Franco-American duo would not sign any more buildings at La Défense until 2004, the year of delivery of the Défense Plaza.