Anthony Caro (1924-2013), After Olympia, patinated and varnished steel, 1986
Anthony Caro created this monumental work in 1985 following a trip to Greece. He was inspired by the pediment of the temple of Zeus in Olympia, whose triangular composition and the use of simple forms in space he respects. The sculpture is made of varnished rusted steel and is 23 metres long.
From 16 June 2006 to 18 February 2007, the Epad lent the artwork to the Rodin Museum for a presentation in the courtyard of the Hotel Biron. On its return to La Défense, the artwork of the CNIT prevented its reinstatement. It was not until May 2010 that the artwork returned to its original location behind the CNIT.
As part of its restoration, and in order to avoid being in the Trinity Tower construction site, this original location of the work was temporarily modified in August 2014 in favour of a location opposite the EDF Tower. The artwork has then been housed in a definitive location, on the Parvis de La Défense, since Sunday, February 7, 2016.
Considered throughout the world as one of the masters of abstract sculpture, Caro, however, began with traditional methods of modeling and casting bronze until the 1960s. Born in 1924 in England, a trip to the United States will definitively orient his work towards the assembly of industrial and metal beams, as well as other materials, such as silver, wood or paper, for creations that will become purely abstract.
Click to enlarge