Boulevard de La Défense
Redeveloping the Boulevard de La Défense, a territorial issue.
The Boulevard de La Défense starts at the foot of the Arche (carrefour de la Folie) and ends at Avenue François Arago in Nanterre.
The objective of this large-scale project is to transform this road, which is currently a fast lane, into a traffic-calmed urban boulevard.
The main developments planned as part of the project to turn the boulevard de La Défense into an urban boulevard consist of :
- The implementation of a two-way system with two traffic lanes,
- The implementation of a one-way, two-way cycle track on the pavement,
- The installation of an alignment of trees and ground cover,
- The replacement of public lighting and traffic lights.
The 1,425 m long boulevard is divided into three distinct sections:
- The La Folie - Carrefour Césaire intersection;
- The Césaire - Carrefour Hébert junction;
- The Hébert - Carrefour Arago junction.
As a future link between Les Groues and Seine-Arche, the boulevard de La Défense will serve L'Archipel de VINCI, La Tour des Jardins de l'Arche, Nouvelle Vague and Origine, the future property developments on the western edge of Les Groues. Ultimately, this operation will link and connect the Groues, Terrasses de Nanterre and University districts to create a smooth and balanced continuity.
The challenges during the construction phase are :
- The maintenance of two lanes of traffic at all times,
- The preservation of pedestrian routes to transport hubs and major facilities,
- Taking into account the events scheduled at the Paris La Défense Arena,
- The phasing of the road works according to the progress of related projects.
What are the next stages of the project?
The Hauts-de-Seine Departmental Council is continuing the paving work on the pavements and the construction of the last two underground rainwater retention basins.
On the side of the future Nanterre la Folie station (Eole project), between Pont Césaire and Pont Célestin-Hébert, the future pavements are taking shape. The first granite paving stones have been laid. This quality surfacing will be used on most of the pedestrian areas of the urban boulevard. In front of the Nanterre la Folie station, the aim is to create a large forecourt free of street furniture.
The first phase of work, which consists of doubling the Boulevard de la Défense between Rue Célestin Hébert and Boulevard Aimé Césaire, will be completed shortly. The second phase between the Folie crossroads and Aimé Césaire Boulevard will continue until the end of 2022. The aim is to create the new traffic lanes and pavements.
The Department is finalising the pavements, including the installation of public lighting and traffic lights. Trees will be planted at the end of 2021. On the second phase, the connection to the networks of two recently created rainwater retention basins must now be completed.
The others projects of Les Groues